So did you get out the silly hats, watch the countdown, and then wish everyone a Happy New 2017…
I had a really quiet New Year sat in watching the telly with a couple of friends and my grand-kids. (Hubby went to bed early with a heavy cold). And despite having to take a neighbor up to A/E after she nearly sliced the end of her finger off, we had a quiet but enjoyable night.
So now what’s in store for us all? Another new year, more resolutions, and what if it’s just like last year or the year before? I stopped making resolutions years ago, I never stuck to them anyway so finally figured there was no point..
So what can you do to make 2017 your best year ever?
I’ve got a few suggestions on what you might do to make this year finally different. Pick and choose the ones that resonate with you, and then get busy making 2017 the beginning of something really fantastic for you, your family and your business…
1. Do something NEW. Each day for 21 days, do something you’ve thought about doing but haven’t done yet, something that will impact your life in a positive way. Possibilities include walking or exercising, not watching television quite so much, getting at least 7.5 hours of sleep, reading something positive each morning, making a to-do list each evening for the next day, drinking 8 glasses of water, not eating junk foods, not eating sugar, listening to motivational recordings, etc. At the end of 21 days, decide if this is a habit you want to keep. Then try something else new. Rinse and repeat for the entire year.
2. Write a bucket list. This is a list of goals you want to accomplish before you die. When you’ve finished, estimate the number of years left in your life when you think you’ll be able to do these things so you can figure out how many of your bucket list items you should be doing each year. Then make a plan to do twice that many this year and every year because your list will keep growing. Plus you never really know how much time you actually have left. (I’ve now lost both my sisters who were in their early 50’s, which has made me get to grips with my own mortality).
3. Start a new business. If you’ve been incubating a new business idea, write your plan and then put your plan into action THIS MONTH. No excuses. No more procrastinating. Just DO it. I’m going to be taking my own advice, so watch this space..
4. If you’re not doing anything physical, then start. But don’t start by trying to run 5 miles today and 10 miles tomorrow because it’s a recipe for disaster. Instead, start by doing just a little everyday, increasing the amount you do each week. This way you’ll stick to your exercise and reap the many rewards, including more energy, you’ll be much fitter and you’ll have clearer thinking.
5. Help someone today, tomorrow and every day. This might be a customer or someone you’re trying to win over as a customer. This might be your list of customers. Or it might be your spouse, friend or neighbor. Everyday do something for someone while expecting absolutely nothing in return and great things will happen. (It’s karmic).
6. Focus on your thoughts. If your thoughts are the precursors to what you will have, then by changing your thoughts you change your future. As William James said, “If you can change your mind, you can change your life.”
7. Set yourself lofty, inspiring goals that get you so excited you can’t wait to get moving. Then find a way to truly believe you can achieve those goals. Because until you believe it, you cannot achieve it. But once you do believe, the goal is already half accomplished. “The only place where your dream becomes impossible is in your own thinking.” Robert H Schuller
And most of all, make every day of 2017 count, because it’s the minutes that make the hours, and the days that make the months that make up your life.
Today is all you have – make the very most of it and enjoy it…